- Dramatis personæ (Latin: “persons or characters of the drama”) is a phrase used to refer collectively, in the form of a list, to the main characters in a dramatic work —- commonly employed in various forms of theater, and also on screen.
- A list of the individuals involved in the events on which the claim is based.
- a spin-off of Cheers based on the character of the same name, contains a character named Marris. She is the wife of Frasier”s brother Niles.
- Frasier is an American sitcom that was broadcast on NBC for eleven seasons, from September 16, 1993 to May 13, 2004. The program was created and produced by David Angell, Peter Casey, and David Lee (as Grub Street Productions) in association with Grammnet (2004) and Paramount Network Television.
- The second season of Frasier originally aired between September 1994 and May 1995, beginning on September 20, 1994.
frasier cast list – Oliver! (Deluxe
Lionel Bart’s wonderful musical adaptation of the CharlesDickens classic was the first London stage musical to be transplanted to Broadway with the same kind of sensation it received in Britain– something that is now common in these post-Cats/Les Miserables times. Although no one from this British cast ever became enormously famous (future Monkee Davy Jones was in the Broadway cast)–and Sir Carol Reed’s film version receives all the critical accolades–this remains the better recording, featuring all the songs cut from the film, while excluding the film’s musical interludes that simply seem annoying without the visuals. Just compare Bruce Brochnik to the film’s Mark Lester in the title role. Or Clive Revill to Ron Moody’s Fagin. Or any of the principals, for that matter–and the differences are remarkable. –Bill Holdship
131 MacDougal Street
The rowhouse at 131 MacDougal Street in Greenwich Village was constructed c. 1828-29 in the Federal style, characterized by its 2-1/2-story height, Flemish bond brickwork, low stoop with wrought-ironwork, entrance with Ionic columns, entablature and transom, molded lintels with end blocks, peaked roof, molded cornice, and pedimented double dormers. This was one of four houses speculatively built on lots owned by Alonzo Alwyn Alvord, a downtown hat merchant, as the area around Washington Square was being developed as an elite residential enclave. Until 1908, No. 131 was continually owned by families of the merchant and professional class. Around the time of the Civil War, as the neighborhood’s fashionable heyday waned, this house was no longer a single-family dwelling and became a lodging house. In the 1910s, this block of MacDougal Street became a cultural and social center of bohemian Greenwich Village, which experienced a real estate boom in the 1920s.
No. 131 was owned from 1919 to 1932 by the family of theatrical agent-playwright Will A. Page, and was partly in commercial use by 1924 for a number of tearooms and speakeasies. From 1940 to 1961, it was owned by Harold G. and Dorothy Donnell Calhoun, the former an assistant to the U.S. Attorney General; the Calhouns had purchased Nos. 127 and 129 in 1920. Alterations to the house included the creation of a roof “studio dormer” by linking its two dormers and the lowering and joining of the first-story windows as a commercial storefront . The Times in 1951 reported on the planned modernization of the houses, noting that their “old architectural charm” was to be preserved. Despite the loss of some architectural details, this house, notable singularly and as a group with its neighbors.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
The Development of the Washington Square Neighborhood
The area of today’s Greenwich Village was, during the 18th century, the location of the small rural hamlet of Greenwich, as well as the country seats and summer homes of wealthy downtown aristocrats, merchants, and capitalists. A number of cholera and yellow fever epidemics in lower Manhattan between 1799 and 1822 led to an influx of settlers in the Greenwich area, with the population quadrupling between 1825 and 1840. Previously undeveloped tracts of land were speculatively subdivided for the construction of town houses and rowhouses. Whereas in the early 19th century many of the wealthiest New Yorkers lived in the vicinity of Broadway and the side streets adjacent to City Hall Park between Barclay and Chambers Streets, by the 1820s and 30s, as commercial development and congestion increasingly disrupted and displaced them, the elite moved northward into Greenwich Village east of Sixth Avenue. For a brief period beginning in the 1820s, Lafayette Place and Bond, Great Jones and Bleecker Streets were among the most fashionable addresses, the latter developed with three block-long rows of houses in 1827-31.
A potter’s field, located north of 4th Street below Fifth Avenue since 1797, was converted into Washington Military Parade Ground and expanded in 1826 and landscaped as Washington Square in 1828. This public square spurred the construction of fine houses surrounding it, beginning with a uniform row of twelve 3-1/2-story Federal style houses on Washington Square South , between Thompson and MacDougal Streets, by Col. James B. Murray and others. On Washington Square North, west of Fifth Avenue, Federal and Greek Revival style town houses were built between 1828 and 1839, while east of Fifth Avenue, “The Row” of thirteen large Greek Revival style town houses was developed in 1832-33 by downtown merchants and bankers who leased the properties from the Trustees of Sailors Snug Harbor. The University of the City of New York constructed its first structure, the Gothic Revival style University Building , on the east side of the Square. While many of the better houses were built on east-west streets south of the Square, more modest dwellings for the working class were constructed on many of the north-south streets. The block of MacDougal Street just southwest of the Square was developed with houses more modest than those on the Square, but still attracting the merchant and professional class.
In 1832, the Common Council created the 15th Ward out of the eastern section of the large 9th Ward, its boundaries being Sixth Avenue, Houston and 14th Streets, and the East River. According to Luther Harris’ recent history Around Washington Square, during the 1830s-40s “this ward drew the wealthiest, most influential, and most talented people from New York City and elsewhere. By 1845, 85 percent of the richest citizens living in the city’s northern wards resided in the Fifteenth.” Fifth Avenue, extended north of Washington Square to 23rd Street in 1829, emerged as the city’s most prestigious address.
Construction and 19th Centur
Bristol Old Vic Programme 1972
Cast list. Note the young John Nettles playing Bardolph and voice of Sir Piers of Exton.
frasier cast list
A musical setting for Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol is a natural, and this holiday TV-movie (based on the Broadway version) generously crams music into its quick spin through the venerable story. Kelsey Grammer uses his musical pipes (and some of his “master thespian” style of acting) as Ebenezer Scrooge, the man whose miserliness needs no introduction here. There’s some experienced musical-comedy talent in the cast, from small roles to large, with expert stuff from Jesse L. Martin (who was in Rent, the Broadway musical, before he joined the Law & Order team) as the ghost of Christmas Present and Jane Krakowski as the ghost of Christmas Past. Jason Alexander, another TV person with a background in stage musicals, does deftly as the chain-rattling Jacob Marley’s ghost (and his number is one of the most tuneful of the mixed bag of songs). Alan Menken, the veteran tunesmith of Beauty and the Beast fame, contributes the music, with lyrics by Lynn Ahrens (Ragtime); the bigger numbers are spirited but a little rote. (The Styne-Merrill songs from a wackier version of the story, Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol, are a more memorable bunch.) This version moves so quickly across the main points of the story that Scrooge’s redemption feels a tad rushed, but maybe the songs are supposed to be the point. Still, the razzle-berry dressing is missed. –Robert Horton